Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas,

We spent a bit of a whirlwind week back home over Christmas. We divided our time between DH's family and mine, meaning between Wenonah and Medford/Brigantine. Bluebonnet was still the star attraction at my parents' big party the Sunday before Christmas day. They've given this thing every year since 1986, and it has grown considerably. Several friends have said that Christmas really begins with that party, which I think is quite a compliment. My cousins and I have appointed ourselves as The Help for the party for the last few years. We have a high old time washing up the dishes, replenishing the cookies, etc. Maybe we have a curious idea of what is fun.

Christmas Eve was spent with DH's family, visiting, eating, and singing but not going to church. I don't think I'll ever be quite accustomed to that. My in-laws and another household within their family are Christians, as well as us, but not everyone, and I suppose churchgoing hasn't been the highest priority in their celebrating. It's not an unpleasant time, by any means, just not what I'd choose if it were up to me.

Christmas Day we spent part of the day in Wenonah with my family and then had dinner with his, in Medford, before heading to Brigantine the following afternoon.

Bluebonnet got some interesting presents, such as a top, some drawing toys, and a Raggedy Ann doll as well as small pink Converse high tops to match the ones Momma got. I'd wanted some for several years!

I also got the reprinted 1953 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (the grown up one.) My mother got copies for all four of us girls. This will be lots of fun!

No comments: